10 ways to herb up
you don’t need any special instructions or culinary skills to get more herbs into your life. You can simply add them to foods you are already making. Here are 10 ways to get you started:
1. Add chopped fresh or dried parsley or dill to your scrambled eggs.
2. Tuck a few leaves of mint and/or basil into your ham or turkey sandwich.
3. Pile fresh cilantro leaves onto your turkey or veggie burger.
4. Toss handfuls of fresh tender herbs — parsley, basil, cilantro, mint — into your basic green salad, treating them more like a lettuce than a seasoning.
5. Add a generous pinch of dried oregano or thyme to your vinaigrette-type salad dressing.
6. Mix a handful of fresh Italian parsley or dill into your boiled or mashed potatoes.
7. Rub a mix of dried rosemary and thyme onto your chicken breast before grilling.
8. Muddle fresh mint or basil leaves in a glass then fill with iced tea or sparkling water and a twist of citrus.
9. Spruce up jarred pasta sauce with a handful of fresh chopped basil leaves.
10. Stir fresh basil, parsley or mint leaves with grilled zucchini or sautéed green beans.